Friday, May 22, 2009

Customer Service

I'm having some trouble finding the last materials for my ghillie suit. I need Rit Dye and a large sheet of 3/4" netting. Walmart had neither.

I suggested to my mom that we should try Home Depot, and she said I should check their website and call the store closest to us. I checked their main website and searched for the materials. Nothing came up. I tried to mentally picture seeing bottles of dye on the industrial steel-frame shelving of the store, but found that the two didn't really match. Same with the netting, I can't picture large canvasses of the stuff fitting in with the rest of the wood and PVC products.

But I resorted to calling the nearby Home Depot anyway, ask if they happen to carry it. Called the number, and was told to press "6" for Customer Service. A lady answered and asked what I needed.

"Hi, I was wondering if you carried three-fourths inch netting."

"Three-quarter inch netting? Um... Let me transfer you to the departm-- *click*"

*beep*... *beep*... *beep*...

I stayed on the line. I wasn't sure if the transfer had worked.

*beep*... *beep*... *beep*...

I waited a little longer, a minute passed; I started to worry.

*beep*... *beep*... *beep*...

For a brief moment of thoughtlessness, I wondered whether I had mistakenly pressed the "off" button with my palm. No, I could hear my breath through the phone, maybe they mistakenly hit the off key, or maybe on purpose.

*beep*... *beep*... *beep*...

Then it hit me: This is customer service.

I hung up.

I'm going try try and swing by a nearby OSH and see if they have what I need.