Wednesday, May 13, 2009

COTW and summer project

Here are the COTW. Today it's tied in with my summer project: make a ghillie suit.

First thing to do is to spark your interest, and make you go "Hey! Now I'm interested in reading the rest of this post." Well, here goes: (watch in HQ when possible)





So... that's what ghillie suits can do, pretty cool huh?

I've wanted to make one since February, and added it to my "things to do this summer" list. I found a documentary by some military experts that lays out all the steps in the process of building your very own (No, I'm not going to tell you the name of the documentary until I've completed my suit, otherwise you wouldn't listen to anything I have to say now would you?). Turns out, ghillie suits are basically flight suits with netting glued/sewn onto the back, with dyed burlap tied into the netting. It really isn't anything fancy.

I learned that you can buy ghillie suits online, but the military experts from the documentary strongly disapproved of it. According to them, a ghillie suit must constantly be changed, depending on the environment you're using it in and the time of year or season.


right now I'm in the beginning stages: unstringing the burlap strands out of burlap coffee bags.



It takes a while, and I've unstrung two large bags so far; more than enough for a single suit.


Here's a bundle of unstrung strands.
I'll keep you posted as I go through the steps.