Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pretty lights

We were watching The Hulk from Netflix last night when our next door neighbor called us outside. They were looking up at the sky, I couldn't see anything at first until I got out the door. It wasn't raining, so I thought it might be a far off view of a night-time airshow. Then the sky lit up.

There was a thunderstorm just south-east of us. Really spectacular, all the neighbors came out to see it. Strangely, there were no thunderclaps. The lightning was there, but there weren't any loud BANGs- just a constant, low rumbling. I tried to get a picture of the lighting, so I just clicked away at the sky and hoped for the best... nothing. I did get a shot of some of the clouds, but it's a little blurred.
We were watching the storm for about ten minutes when a very large wet raindrop hit my head. I looked at the ground where another had fallen, it was a big raindrop, about the size of a half-dollar. Then, without warning, it poured.

Within a few seconds, the entire street was drenched, and the sidewalk gutters were bursting their banks. The lightning continued, and the younger children were running and splashing and getting completely soaked. Ross even got a chance to use an umbrella hat a friend gave him.

After about fifteen minutes, the storm passed over our house and out of convenient sight. The rain slowly lessened and was reduced to a light sprinkle. We went inside to see the radar image of the storm and watched the big red blotch slide over Sacramento. So much for the first week of June summer sun.